A 3-day Course designed for those who wish to develop their understanding and skills when leading, participating in or verifying a LOPA study, with the option to complete two case studies after the Course to attain =Method Certification in LOPA Study.
Introduction to LOPA
- Determine when a LOPA is required
- How to perform a LOPA
- What happens after the LOPA
- Alignment with IEC 61511
Elements of LOPA
- Defining the hazardous scenario
- Understanding tolerable risk criteria
- Understanding initiating events and assigning a frequency
- Defining Independent Protection Layers
- Assigning Conditional modifiers to initiating events (Enabling Events)
- Determining SIL and PFD
Hazard and Risk Assessment and Functional Safety
- LOPA is part of a process, not an end in itself
- The legal and regulatory background to Hazard and Risk Assessment (and LOPA)
- H&RA (and LOPA) in the functional safety lifecycle
- Hazard Identification prior to LOPA
- Define the scenario
- Assign severity and target frequency
- Initiating events and frequency
- Enabling events / Conditional Modifiers
- Independent Protection Layers
- Output Results (SIL, PFD)
- LOPA maths
- Developing scenarios
- The LOPA team
- Tolerable and individual risk
- Cost benefit analysis and ALARP
- Data sources for failure rates
- Human error failure rates
- Alarms as IPLs
- Common cause failures
- Documenting the LOPA
What follows the LOPA
- Verification of the LOPA
- The Safety Requirement Specification (SRS)
- Stage 1 Functional Safety Assessment
- The functional safety lifecycle (design, install, commission, validate, operate, maintain, repair)
- Monitoring the assumptions of the LOPA during operations
Who should attend
Anyone who is leading, participating in or verifying a LOPA study.
After this Training Course
After this Training Course you will be able to
- Determine when a LOPA is required.
- Understand how to perform a LOPA.
- Understand what happens after the LOPA.
- Carry out the LOPA in compliance with functional safety standards IEC (BS EN) 61511-1:2016.
What you will get
- The course material in printed format.
- A Certificate of Attendance, and
- A =Method Certificate in LOPA Study on successful completion of both Case Studies.
For an additional fee, candidates can attain Certification in LOPA Study, through the submission of two case studies, using the techniques and templates from the Course. These are designed to give delegates the confidence and competence to undertake simple LOPA Studies in this aspect of Process Safety. You will be appointed with a tutor to help in this process with =Method Certification in LOPA awarded on successful completion of the case studies and your CPD hours increased accordingly. Certification is valid for 5 years.
If you have any further questions, please contact us and if you wish to proceed, check your diary and reserve a place.